NARRATED BY EMMY-NOMINATED ACTOR DAVID MORSE
Can humans solve the climate crisis? The 12th Hour delves into humanity's psychological resistance to ecological change, and why such changes are needed in order to avoid an irreversible cataclysm.
Much of our population currently lives with hopeful delusions about climate change. These delusions, many of which have developed naturally as part of human evolution, hamper our ability to meaningfully address a problem with the spatial and temporal scope of climate change. While our brains adapted to meet the immediate challenges encountered by threats to our short-term survival, the biological wiring for a long-term threat like climate change simply has not developed in equal measure. Is it possible for humanity to collectively bridge the gap between these modes of thinking?
Visionary thinkers and dozens of the brightest minds in academia, from evolutionary biologists to climate scientists to cognitive researchers and psychologists, lay out a compelling and unflinching look at mankind in relation to climate survival: our past, abilities, shortcomings, and what may very well be our final destination. If humanity has any hope to survive the changes that we have already locked into our climate, it is necessary to be honest with ourselves and our limitations. The 12th Hour lays out our biases so that we may overcome them.
- Dr. Paul Piff, Associate Professor of Psychological Science Ph.D., UC Berkeley
- Dr. Maureen O'Hara, Professor of Psychology
- Dr. Thomas Metzinger, Professor of Philosophy
- Dr. Bruce M. Hood, Professor of Psychology
- Dr. Jorgen Randers, Professor of Climate Strategy
- Dr. Azim Shariff, Professor of Social Psychology
- Dr. Daniel Wildcat, Professor, Haskell Indian Nations University
- Dr. Ugo Bardi, Professor of Physical Chemistry
- Dr. Michael Ranney, Professor of Cognitive Psychology
- Dr. Kari Norgaard, Professor of Sociology
- Pete Russell, Physicist
- Dr. William Catton, Sociologist
- Dr. Dario Maestripieri, Evolutionary Biologist
- Richard Dawkins, Evolutionary Biologist
- Dr. Joseph Tainter, Anthropologist
- George Dyson, Science Historian
- Paul Roberts, Journalist
- Dr. William Calvin, Neurophysiologist
- Dro. Robert Trivers, Evolutionary Biologist
- Dr. Stephan Lewandowsky, Cognitive Scientist
- Dr. Brian Fagan, Anthropologist
- Jay Julius, Lummi Nation Tribal Chairman
- Dr. Sue Blackmore, Psychologist
- Rob Hopkins, Founder of Transition Network
FILMMAKER'S STATEMENT: "Jim Swift and I have produced many films about climate change through various prisms. 12th Hour is our fourth film. Jim produced a film that takes a hard look at ourselves and the evolutionary traits that may keep us from tackling a problem that will take a worldwide co-ordinated effort to solve."